Portland, ME

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Nebs -- After All EP


I few weeks ago I heard The Nebs for the first time via Portland's fledgling Dispatch Magazine, and being curious I gave it a listen. The result reminded me a lot of a band that dominated my music sphere almost all winter last year called Pond

I guess that's kind of a random connection to make.
Anyway.

Basically I wish The Nebs would stick more to the sound they demonstrate on the first track of After All, the song starts off in a generally unassuming way but the calm, full, tubey, reverb laden chords quickly give way to up tempo, completely fuzzed out (slightly) thrashy awesomeness. This song is called After All, What's In A Reflection? and in addition to being by far the best song on here musically it is also by far the best songwriting effort on this record. As After All comes to a close The Neb's don't really return to the fuzz rock aspect of their music again in any real way after the first song, which is ultimately a weaker point for an album which has tons of potential, that being said I think I might like the first song enough to make up for the other three.
The EP is available for 4$ (or 1$ per song) on bandcamp.


Favorite Track:



______________________________________


(for reference...)
This is Pond. They were an early 90's SUB-POP band from Portland, Oregon.
They are good.




No comments:

Post a Comment